Last year, I posted the offense/defensive strengths for each NCAA tournament team, based on the scores of all NCAA games throughout the season. Below, you will find the values for 2016 March Madness.
Some things to note:
1. 6 tournament teams are below NCAA Division 1 average.
2. The top 11 teams are within 5 expected points of each other.
3. Michigan St is the 2nd best team and got a 2 seed. West Virginia is the 3rd best team and got a 3 seed.
4. Oregon is the 18th best team and got a 1 seed.
5. Purdue, Vanderbilt, Gonzaga, Michigan, and Wichita St are quite under-seeded.
6. Xavier, Oregon, and Utah are quite over-seeded.
7. The Kentucky (19.2 points above average) and Indiana (18.5 points above average) matchup in the second round will be a good game.